VIP CABLE FOR IP VIDEO
The evolution of data transmission technologies, especially for IP convergence has led to the use of LAN-type cables for applications which previously would have required low bit rate cables or coaxial cables.
1. Environment, application and market trends
The market for video security or video surveillance is transforming. Manufacturers are developing a new generation of systems using digital transmission. The evolution of data transmission technologies, especially for IP convergence has led to the use of LAN-type cables for its applications. Coaxial cables, previously used in analog solutions, are being replaced by copper twisted pair data cables.
In 2018, the European market was estimated with a number of installed cameras close to 12 million units, split by:
Urban spaces: 8%
In non-residential environments, 70% of those video surveillance networks are mostly installed inside buildings and the remaining 30% outside requiring adapted cabling infrastructures. Cables installed inside buildings must be compliant to security standards against the release of toxic and corrosive smokes, so the cable sheath material is Low Smoke, Zero Halogen (LSZH). Cables installed outside buildings must be protected against UV and humidity, so the cables are sheathed with Polyethylene (PE) or installed in ducts or protective tubes. Purchasing and installing the additional protection for the cables can represent a considerable part in the construction costs.
In urban networks, the transmission of the image is mainly transmitted through optical cables (and today links can be wireless); copper cables are only used for the last few meters of the installation circuit. These cables are installed on building facades, inside street lamps or poles, which expose them to humidity and UV exposure and therefore they must be protected with tubes.
Nowadays, IP cameras are connected via RJ45 connectors. The distribution cable coming from the patch cabinet is often composed with AWG23 wires, which are incompatible with male RJ45 connectors. For this reason, the distribution cable must be ended with a RJ45 jack, and then connected to the camera via a RJ45/RJ45 patch cord. These plugs require a connection box when they are used in outdoor applications. The protection boxes also represent a cost implication in construction budgets.
2. VIP – Video IP cable construction
Designed to meet IP video signal transmission requirements, in both indoor and outdoor environments, the VIP cable has the following characteristics:
- Conductor: AWG26 solid bare copper
- Insulation: PE (Polyethylene) =1.00mm thickness
- 2 insulated conductors twisted to a pair
- Individual screen: Aluminum/Polyester tape
- Overall braid: Tinned copper (80%)
- Outer sheath: HFFR, In&Out - Black
- Protection against UV and humidity
- Outer diameter: 6,4mm
- RoHS and Reach compliant
- PEPecopassport available upon request.
3. VIP – Video IP Advantages
- Single product for all types of installations: indoor (LSZH) or outdoor (UV, humidity protection)
- Direct connection on RJ45 plugs for solid wires and on RJ45 jacks
- Reinforced electromagnetic protection
- Optimal protection against surges
- Reinforced mechanical resistance thanks to the tinned copper braid layer
- Compatible Power over Ethernet POE, POE+ to energize cameras
- Specific IP Video marking
- Packaging: BOX (305m) easy to carry and designed to protect the cable